Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

wild woman.

I love to eat venison. I can't really hide it. Not only because most of the time we know EXACTLY where it came from, but because it has much less fat than traditional beef. I know there is a common stipulation that gives venison a bad name. I won't tell you it tastes like chicken, but I will tell you the first thing that comes to mind isn't Bambi. It's not game-y (if prepared correctly) and it has filled our bellies for FREE instead of having to purchase beef. I love to make spaghetti with it, or sausage. But, tonight I thought meatloaf would be a good idea since meatloaf sandwiches are equal to crack. WHY ARE THEY SO GOOD?!?! The only thing I would probably change is to mix some beef in (if it was available) just to make it this much thicker.
Recipe adapted (loosely) from *THIS* recipe
  • 1 pound ground venison (I used ground venison sausage)
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 1 tablespoon Johnny's seasoning
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce (I used marinara because that's what was left over in the fridge)
  • 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
  • salt + pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare your ground meat in a large mixing bowl.
Add dry ingredients (panko bread crumbs, brown sugar, and seasoning)







Then, the remaining wet ingredients.


Pat mixture into a 9x9-inch pan, or a loaf pan.
Bake in preheated oven to an internal temperature of 160 degrees F, about 40 minutes.
If desired, top with extra tomato sauce and/or cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment